July 31, 2012

art room leaders

I feel like every year I have to try out a new or slightly altered version for giving each class leadership jobs.
After messing with "numbers" the last two years I am finally embracing "colors".

First, I gave every table a color.
I made the fringe garland using a tutorial I found here.
I broke the rules and added two neutral colors instead of completing a secondary color scheme.

I printed out leader jobs that will correspond with each table color.
These were laminated. I attached magnetic tape to the back. Now the colors can be shuffled each week.

Sketchbook Leaders.
They pass out the classes' sketchbooks at the beginning of class --- and they collect them after 5 minutes.
Each grade level has a corresponding color and a different front design that involves their name. 
(This is the first day of class project)

Table Tub Leaders.
They get the tub organized at the end of class --- plus they monitor it during the class period to make sure no one is playing with the stuff inside it without permission.
I obviously haven't filled them up with supplies yet.

Supply Leaders (new to me this year).
They will get the supplies and return them at the beginning and end of class.
PLUS
They will need to bring trays to the correct table using the water cup color as an indicator.
(If you've never passed out stuff on a tray, consider it, it make passing out supplies a breeze!)

Floor Leaders (new to me this year).
They will sweep up the floor at the end of class. They will also mobilize the trash cans to help with the process.

Clean-up Leaders.
They wipe up the table tops after I spray them off (I never let them spray). Keeps the tables clean and germ free after every class! Hallelujah!

Table Folder Leaders.
For the unfinished projects that don't need a drying rack.
They put all the artwork in the corresponding folder. There are 3 folders per class and every grade level has their own color. They are laminated for continuous use.
We shall see how the new color leader jobs turn out!

7 comments:

  1. If I can come up with 6 jobs for my 6 tables, I'm totally trying this. I never assigned jobs because it hadn't occurred to me to have a whole table in charge of one job. This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this also! I am going to try this! Great idea! I decided to use colors for my tables instead of numbers this year also. I can't hang things from the ceiling in my schools so I printed out a line drawing of a crayon box I found on Pinterest( one for each table) and colored each one with as many different shades of that color as I could find. I am going to laminate them and duct tape them to the table in hopes that the kiddos don't pick them off the table! Thanks for sharing your idea! Have a great year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what? love this idea! can't wait to hear how this idea goes ;)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems you are really ready for the new school year.
    I love your organizational skills.
    I am still working on mine.

    Enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you ever have a problem with certain tables finishing before others? Maybe only 5 minutes before everyone has to clean up? How do you deal with that? I tried doing a similar system once and I totally botched it! Now, when it's clean up, I usually have them stack their dry projects in the middle of the table for me to clean up and I choose four people to get wet sponges, certain people to dry tables,...I found that when certain people finished early, it was just early enough that I have a hard time finding them something to do but not early enough to warrant them getting out a sheet of paper to free draw.

    Jen (www.artroom104.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I can pull off even half of these ideas my room will be cleaner and quieter. THANKS FOR POSTING! I'm going to pin this.

    Rina at www.k6art.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some excellent tips here- I, too, have rarely used classroom helper- I just grab the first 'reliable' early finishers and get them to help out. I need to try this. Love the idea of laminating the class folders- I make new ones each year- why didn't I think of this? Thanks for sharing all these great tips!

    ReplyDelete