November 18, 2012

tint and shade landscapes

The (pin)-spiration.
I am always looking for news ways to teach tint, shade, and value to my third graders.
I found the above pin linked to this (lesson) over at Miriam's (blog).

On day one we learned about tints and shades.
We started with white paint and turned it into 5 different shades of green.
Holy cow.
This filled up my drying rack quick.
Each piece was 5 x 12.
How do you flatten artwork?
I use this old laminator.
Plug it in. It heats up.
YEAH! Flattened artwork. Works like a charm.
Day two we create our landscapes.
Glue down the lightest green to the top of a 12 x 18 paper.
Turn the other four into landscapes and cityscapes.

Thanks Miriam!
Great Lesson!

5 comments:

  1. Love the tints cityscape...When I taught middle school we used to have a heat press, which would flatten the artwork just like your laminator. Now that I'm in an elementary school I do it the old fashioned way...stack some heavy books or large packages of unopened construction paper, I miss my press, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Work! I’m very proud to see the ideas shared on the web! Your work is even different from mine because you used another method: my student painted every layer on the same sheet but was difficult to do sharp lines with paintbrush! So your method is clever and the result is amazing!
    Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Miriam, perfect idea to paint the paper first!!! Love it! I bet it cuts down on production time as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,
    What kind of paint did you use to paint the paper? Do you think this is do-able in grade one?

    ReplyDelete