December 4, 2012

value pine trees

In Kindergarten we explore the idea of value in its most simplified form.
I saw (this lesson) from Katie and it inspired my lesson.
We began by talking about value.
Every student gets a 9x12 piece of white paper.
They fold it into 4 even rectangles.
And the painting commences.
I give them original green to start.
After they paint one rectangle they sgraffito lines into the wet paint.
Then I mix in yellow to the green and they sgraffito a different line pattern into a new rectangle.
Third comes white.
Lastly they get black mixed in.
I have a poster that I use over and over for my Kindergarteners that helps them remember different lines.
On the second day they get some additional materials plus their painted paper.
Students draw and cut triangles out of their painted paper.
They glue them down and cut smaller squares and rectangles for the tree trunks.
Here is my teacher sample.
My first kindergartners just did theirs this morning.
They loved it. Turned out super cute too.
Thanks for the inspiration Katie!

11 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love evergreen art in winter... Doing a little of my own right now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see any of your pictures! I tried opening your blog in Chrome, Firefox, and IE. There's also no thumbnail view of your first picture on my blog roll on my own blog. Is Photobucket down for maintenance, or something? Obviously Hope was able to see your pictures yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno! I hope you can see them now. I can! :-/

      Delete
    2. I actually still can't see them....maybe my computer just hates Photobucket?? But, it looks like everyone else can!

      Delete
    3. OK, I can see it from my home computer, but not at school....maybe my school computer doesn't have all of the programs installed that I need. But, I agree with all of the other comments; they look great! Such a fun idea for kindergarten :).

      Delete
    4. Whew, at least you can see them somewhere!! ;)

      Delete
  3. I love this! Such a great idea! I think I may have to steal it from you. This would be a great way to review lines with my Kinders (we've just done Mondrian with vertical and horizontal lines). Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great. I usually do some kind of evergreen tree this time of year and I like your take on it!! Great little forests! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. I did this with my kindergartners and they turned out great. I posted this on my blog and put a link to your blog. Thanks for sharing! mrsharrisart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete